Construction words and terms you may come across in our blog entries......

This blog post will be constantly updated with definitions and explanations of constructions terms from my other blog posts. I hope this blog will be one that you continue to look back on when you see a word/words underlined and in red.


This term came up in my second blog post about Squeaky Floors in your house. The sub-flooring are 4 foot by 8 foot sheets of OSB that are laid on top of your floor joist. Sometimes it is also referred to as the decking. You need this sub-flooring in order to continue on with the construction process. Once all of this is installed, the contractor can now lay out walls and stand them up. This is need to walk within the different rooms in your house. Later in the process your carpet, hard, tile and any other type of flooring will be installed and attached to this.

Oriented strand board (OSB):

Also known as flakeboard, sterling board and aspenite in British English, is a type of engineered lumber similar to particle board, formed by adding adhesives and then compressing layers of wood strands (flakes) in specific orientations. Some people also refer to it as plywood.

More Definitions to come....

Featured Posts
Recent Posts